All Saints Church
All Saints Church is part of the Seven Sowers Benefice, a team of seven parishes led by the Team Rector – Revd Paul Reynolds. All Saints, formerly known as St. James, has 13th century origins and was designated as a Grade I listed building in 1959 – English Heritage Building ID: 431242OS.
Most of the church has 15th century architecture with some restoration work done in the 19th century. It has a three stage tower and inside the church is a 15th century font.
Two of the six bells date from pre-Reformation times when a widow, Johanna Sturdy, was in charge of the bell foundry in London.
The Communion Cup dates from 1574, and was made by Henry Arnold, a silversmith from Taunton (no silverware of any value is kept in the church).
As mentioned in other parts of the website William Malet the second was a guarantor of the Magna Carta in 1215. He is said to be buried in the tomb at the eastern end of the north aisle. He died in 1216. The effigy on top of this tomb was moved from the adjacent niche in recent times and the bones of a child, about one year-old, were discovered. They are reputed to be those of William Malet’s only son.
The imposing figure on the north wall of the chancel is Rector Ralph Mighill, a Puritan, (d 1633) – still preaching?! The lock on the south door is immense and the door is made of only two planks of wood, each 25.5 inches (65cm) wide. Click on the word for more information about the Church leaflet, the Silver Plate (not kept in the church) and the Curry Mallet’s Bells.
We also welcome the children from the primary school who come to church to hold special services including Harvest and memorable Nativity productions.
The church upholds the medieval service of “Blessing the Plough” traditionally held on the Sunday after Epiphany. Farmers of the parish carry the seed corn to be blessed and the farm workers bring their tools of trade and process to the altar, followed by the plough which is carried in. The ancient plough is kept permanently in the church.
The church is open every day and is often visited by walkers. A public footpath runs alongside the churchyard which itself is also visited by folk looking for family graves.
Postcode is TA3 6SD
All Saints pattern for the month is:
Rev. Paul Reynolds The Rectory Stoke St. Mary Taunton TA3 5BX T: 01823 444023 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Rev. Mary Godin The Stables Capland Lane TA3 6TP T: 01823 480606 E: email@example.com
Rev. Christabel Agar 14 Morgans Rise Bishops Hull Taunton TA1 5HW T: 01823 335424 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Brian Crudge 22 Stoke Road Taunton T: 01823 274124
Clive Hayward 26 Home Orchard Hatch Beauchamp T: 01823 481008
Tim Frazer T: 01823 480431 E: email@example.com
Children’s, Schools and Families Worker
James Hall – Contact details coming soon.
Parochial Church Council
Treasurer Marianne Townrow
Secretary Mike Ive
Council Members Marianne Townrow, Mike Ive, Justin Adams, Neil Crafter, Sally Down, Lizzie Frazer, Angela Pettitt, Mike Pettitt
The Council meets four times a year and the annual Vestry meeting, which is open to all parishioners, is usually held in March. Special services are advertised throughout the village and details of all church activities are in the monthly parish magazine.
If you would like to volunteer to help with the church flowers, Angela Pettitt on 01823 490038 will be very pleased to hear from you.