WELCOME TO OUR VILLAGE WEBSITE.....
Curry Mallet is a small village with a farming and residential community nestling in the beautiful Somerset countryside. It has far reaching views, with the Blackdown Hills forming a backdrop to the west and a panoramic vista of the Somerset Levels, a sparsely populated wetland area, to the north. It’s an area of considerable charm and character, and the village has a public house, post office/village stores with tea garden, primary school, church, thriving clubs, scout troop and youth club. In addition, the village hall provides a full programme of entertainment and an annual summer fete. The village is rich with structures which have been listed by English Heritage as of special architectural and historic interest.
With a population of 306, Curry Mallet is eight miles from the county town of Taunton. The attractive and genteel Dorset/East Devon coastal towns of Lyme Regis and Beer, West Somerset resort of Minehead, Exmoor National Park, and to the north, Weston-Super-Mare are all within an hour’s drive. There is easy access to the M5 and the A303 to London via Stonehenge is close by.
Roman coins found locally suggest a Roman villa in the area. Evidence of a medieval village has been established and the entry for Curry Mallet in the Domesday Book of 1086 shows that the village then had a population of thirty-eight households. The church upholds the medieval service of “Blessing the Plough” traditionally held on the Sunday after Epiphany. Farmers of the parish carry the seed corn to be blessed and the farm workers bring the tools of their trade to the altar, followed by the ancient plough which is now kept permanently in the church.
In 1215, William Malet, the then Lord of Curry Mallet, was one of twenty five barons elected to act as guarantor of the Magna Carta, which is widely viewed as establishing the rule of constitutional law and individual freedoms that many of us take for granted today. 15th June 2015 will mark the 800th anniversary of the sealing of the Magna Carta by King John, and here in Curry Mallet we will be celebrating throughout the weekend of 13th/14th June 2015, alongside the hundreds of other events that are being planned across Britain and internationally.
A deer park was probably in existence as early as 1285, and in 1421 the estate became part of the Duchy of Cornwall, which still owns many parts of the village today including three farms; two mixed with large dairy herds and the third having a successful strawberry business growing varieties for the main supermarkets.